On November 11, 1868 the Councillors of Richmond played bowls against the Brighton Councillors on the green of Hardam’s Court House Hotel, Brighton. The pleasure they derived from this game inspired them to build a bowling green for the people of Richmond.
In April 1869, an application for a site at the rear of the new Town Hall was granted and a green was laid. The Richmond Union Bowling Club was opened on the 2nd November 1869.
Probably the most historical trophy in Australian bowls,this glorious example of the silversmith’s art was given by Mark Moss, President of the Victorian Bowling Association to mark the first intercolonial match between Victoria and N.S.W. on April 14, 1880 – the match out of which the N.S.W.B.A and V.B.A were born. Victoria won both this match and the return match played on November 5, 1880.
The Victorian team then played off for the trophy. It was won by P.J. Murphy for Richmond Union and is now the property of RUBC, occupying a proud place under glass in the Club.
Walter Nation, JP, was a Magistrate, businessman and a notable Richmond citizen, dying
tragically at the age of 40.
In his honour the Mayor of Richmond, Mr. G.H.Bennett, passed a resolution to place a statue in the Club to pay “a tribute of respect and love to one whose memory will long remain dear to every person in this community”.
The marble monument, which was also a scoring board, was erected and unveiled on 14th January 1897.